Bulgur is a light and fluffy grain. It has been eaten for centuries, especially around the Mediterranean. It’s tasty with a little vegetable spread on top, but also underneath dishes that have a bit of liquid to soak up. As it is very quick cooking, (it is partially cooked before drying) so it’s great in a “hurry up” situation when you still want to eat healthy. It comes in different grinds – course, medium and fine. Medium is probably the most adaptable, in Yummy’s opinion.
There is no reason not to start eating bulgur as one of your grains!
Try bulgur instead of rice.
- 1 Cup bulgar wheat
- 2 1/2 cups boiling water
- Place the bulgur into a bowl.
- Add the boiling water.
- Give it a quick stir, then leave alone.
- Between 15 and 25 minutes the bulgur will be tender, depending on the coarsness of the bulgur. Medium will be done in about 15 minutes.
- Squeeze out any extra water from the bulgur.
- You can use the bulgur unheated now, or heat it before serving, depending on your wishes.
There, now you’ve got another yummy grain to make. It’s great in so many ways!