I need an egg replacer – vegan, you know: Well here is a very good recipe. I use this for pancakes, waffles, cakes, cookie dough, lots of things…
Burrito Shell Breaking?: To avoid having your burrito shell break when folding: warm the shell in a heated frying pan or oven before adding ingredients.
Dried Beans: soak beans overnight in water to hasten cooking time and to help with digestion.
How to cook beans: put overnight soaked beans in a pot with water about 2 inches higher than the bean level, bring to a boil, cover and simmer on low until done. From 40 minutes for small beans to 2 hours for soybeans. For more info about beans, here you go:
How to soak and cook beans. Here goes:
- First, be sure that your dried beans are fresh. Basically, you can either buy them from the bulk bins or in the pre-packaged bags. They key is to use them, not to store them for 1 year in your cabinet and then use them!
- Secondly, soak the beans – two methods:
- long soak – soak the beans in water overnight. Be sure to cover them completely – around 2" water over the top level of beans. Give them room to expand in the container.
- "quick" soak – in cooking pot, add the beans, cover with water – plus a spare couple of inches, cover the pot, bring to a boil, turn off the heat and let them sit for 1/1/2 to 4 hours, depending on the bean.
HOW TO TELL WHEN THE BEANS HAVE SOAKED ENOUGH? Your thumbnail should be able to penetrate the bean easily.
- After one of the above soaking methods, drain the water and rinse the beans well (good for bean digestibility issues) .
- Finally, in a large pot, put in the beans, cover with water by 2", bring to a boil and simmer for approximately 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hours. Different types of beans take different lengths of time to cook. Don’t add salt tomatoes, vinegar or any type of acid until the beans are soft.
- One more note: if your water has a high mineral content, use bottled water to cook the beans.
FYI: you can also use a pressure cooker to cook the beans. It greatly shortens the time for soaking and cooking.
That should do it! Hope this helps. Enjoy.
How to cook spaghetti squash, acorn squash or butternut squash: cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and put it face down in a pan. Bake at 375° for 30-45 minutes.
Avocado pit: slice avocado in half, take your knife and hack lengthwise into the pit, then twist and lift the pit out (still attached to the knife) and throw the pit away.
Cooking with wine: “bad” wine does not miraculously taste “good” when cooked with food. When cooking with wine, always use wine that you would happily drink! You don’t need to use your best wine but make sure you like it enough.
When making rice, grains, beans: go ahead and make enough for the week. You can store the leftovers in the refrigerator and then reheat them to have a quick healthful meal.
Making soup and missing some ingredients: When using vegetable cubes or vegetable broth, remember that these are made with a variety of vegetable ingredients. So don’t worry if you don’t have carrots or parsley or onion or garlic, or any dried spice. Your vegetable broth is made from such ingredients. Make your soup without your “missing” ingredient – it will still taste great.