Delish and high in fiber! You even get a little iron from the cast-iron skillet.
- 1 ¼ cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 ¼ cups unbleached white flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups boiling water mixed with 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon oil for pan
- Heat oven to 425° F. Lightly oil a cast-iron skillet with a little canola oil. Heat it in the oven while you mix the cornbread batter
- In a large bowl stir together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, brown sugar and salt.
- Add the boiling water mixed with 2 tablespoons canola oil and stir to mix. Do not overmix. Add additional hot water if necessary to make a light batter.
- Spoon batter into the hot cast-iron skillet. Batter should sizzle when it contacts the skillet. Bake 30 minutes or until the cornbread is light brown on top and springs back to the touch.
- Cut into wedges and serve.