This chickpea soup is really tasty and satisfying. It’s hearty and healthy and warms the soul.
- 1 lb dried chickpeas
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 8 cups veggie broth – either cubes dissolved or in the carton
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground coriander
- salt and pepper
the garnish: (optional – but it’s good)
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Soak the dried beans overnight.
- In a large soup pot (8-quart), add the 8 cups veggie broth, bring the chickpeas to a boil. Cook over low heat until chickpeas are tender (about 45 minutes.)
- In a skillet, saute the onions in the olive oil for 5 minutes to begin to tenderize them.
- Add the garlic and stir for another minute.
- Add the cumin, coriander and black pepper (to taste). Stir for another minute.
- Add the mixture to the chickpeas and broth. Bring to a boil, turn down and cook at medium heat for another 20 minutes.
- Puree using a hand blender or your preferred method
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
The Garnish – Do while the chickpeas are cooking for 45 minutes.
- Preheat over to 450 degrees.
- Toss sliced onion with 1 tsp olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Place onion slices on nonstick cooking sheet and bake until lightly browned – around 45 minutes.
Serve the soup in bowls and garnish on top with crisp onion and chopped parsley.
Another really great and delicious way to eat chickpeas!!!