Submitted by Natasha Helmer.
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 2/3 cup green lentils
- 1/2 cup brown Basmati rice
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp each sugar, salt, ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp each turmeric, paprika, ground nutmeg and ground cardamom
- Pinch each cinnamon, cloves, cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- In separate pots of boiling water, cook wild rice 35-40 minutes, lentils 25-30 minutes and brown rice 35-40 minutes or until tender but not mushy. Drain well and transfer to large bowl. Add currants and onions; set aside.
- Dressing: in small bowl, whisk together vinegar, water, cumin, mustard, sugar, salt, coriander, turmeric, paprika, nutmeg, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and cayenne; whisk in oil. Pour over rice mixture and toss gently. Let cool completely; cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Serve sprinkled with almonds.
Makes 8 servings.