This great dish is good for brunch or dinner.
- 4 tbsp olive oil or grapeseed oil
- 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. coriander seeds, lightly crushed
- 1 small hot fresh chili, chopped fine or 1/2 tsp. sirichi hot sauce
- 1 cup red lentils
- 8 free-range eggs
- pinch of salt
- cilantro, optional
- 3 cups water
- plain yogurt
- Heat oil in a medium-sized pot. Once hot, add the ginger, onion, chili or hot sauce and coriander seeds. Cook about 6 minutes on medium heat, stirring.
- Add lentils and water into the pot. Add Salt.
- Increase to high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 15-20 minutes. Stir often to avoid sticking.
- Meanwhile, to poach the eggs, bring a small pot of water to a boil. Reduce heat to low so water is still. Crack each egg into a ramekin and gently pour egg into hot water.
- Let eggs cook for 3-4 minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon. Pat them dry.
- Spoon dal into 4 bowls, top each with 2 poached eggs, add a dollop of yogurt.
- Serve with lime wedge – which is delicious squeezed over dish!! and some sprigs of cilantro.
thanks to amaryll schwertner – this recipe was adapted from one of hers.