This yummy japanese eggplant dish was given to me by my friend, Guy. It is so delicious and just like the eggplant you can order at a japanese restaurant!
- 2 long and skinny purple eggplants (the asian type that looks like a banana is best)
- oil to fry (3 tbsp or so)
- 1/2 tsp chili sauce
- 3/4 cup of vegetable stock
- 1 tsp minced garlic (or more, if desired!)
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp rice wine
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 3 tsp white vinegar
- 5 tsp dark soy sauce
- 3 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp red wine
- Cut the eggplants into 1/2 inch pieces (ala french fries)
- In a large pot, fry the eggplants until 80% cooked (1-2 mintues). Be careful, there’s lots of bubbling due to water content. Blot dry on paper towel.
- In wok or large fry pan, make the sauce with the above ingredients until desired mix of taste and spiciness.
- Bring sauce to a slow boil for 1-2 minutes, put in cooked eggplant, mix for 1-2 minutes and serve.