Sometimes when Yummy falls for a delicious dish at a restaurant, we learn to create it at home. Don’t fear the artichoke. Eat it.
- 2 large artichokes
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- olive oil for sprinkling on artichoke
- 1 tsp salt
- mustard mayo dipping sauce (mayo or nayo, whole grain dijon mustard)
- Prepare artichokes by removing bottom leaves (maybe about 10 and trimming very bottom end of stalk (where it’s dried up).
- Steam artichokes for 30-40 minutes in large steamer with 1 tsp vinegar and salt add to the water.
- Removed from steamer and let cool about 10 minutes. Be patient, don’t burn yourself.
- Cut artichoke right down the middle lengthwise with serrated knife.
- Remove innermost leaves that are too small to really eat. Also remove the "hairy" part just above the artichoke heart with a small spoon.
- Sprinke olive oil on cut side and place cut side down on the heated grill for 5 minutes, until a little bit of charring occurs.
- Serve with dipping sauce made from mayonnaise (or nayonnaise) and mustard.