Here are recommendations on how to eat well.
1. The optimal diet should be varied and cover all the bases – not too much of anything that might be bad.
2. Eat as much fresh food as possible.
3. Stop eating refined, processed and manufactured foods. If it comes pre-packaged and has ingredients that you don’t really know what they are, it’s probably not very good for you.
4. Eat an abundance of fruits and vegetables. These have highly protective phyto-nutrients which enhance our bodies defenses against cancers.
5. Eat a balanced distribution of calories as follows:
- 40-50% carbs – high quality, whole grains
- 30% good fats – olive oil
- 20-30% protein
6. Eliminate or reduce your consumption of dairy. If you do use it, use organic so that you aren’t getting antibiotics, growth hormones, etc.
7. Add some mushrooms to your diet! Shitakes, Oysters, Portobellos – yum!
8. Drink green tea!
9. Use Olive Oil as your oil of choice.
10. Note: High Fructose Corn Syrup is generally a marker of low-quality food. Avoid it.