A great healthful pasta dish when you want something other than a tomato sauce.
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup shitake mushroom caps
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, boil water and cook pasta.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet, toast pine nuts over medium heat, stirring occasionally until lightly golden – about 3 mintues. Remove pine nuts and set aside.
- Add olive oil and sauté bite-sized pieces of shitake mushrooms for 10 minutes or until done.
- Meanwhile, cut brocolli florets into bite-sized pieces and steam.
- Combine vegetable broth, mushrooms, pine nuts in skillet and bring to a quick boil.
- Pour mixture over drained pasta.
- Top with parmesan cheese (or faux parm cheese) and salt and pepper.