Refried beans are really nice in a taco, or tostado, or burrito, don’t you agree?
- 1 1/2 cups dried pinto, pink or kidney beans, soaked overnight or by quick method
- 3 cups water
- 1 chopped onion
- 1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- salt to taste
- After rinsing pre soaked beans, add water and onions, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer slowly for about 3 hours. Add additional water if necessary.
- Mash beans with a potato masher.
- Add oil, ground cumin and salt to taste.
- Mix well and continue cooking stirring frequently for the beans to thicken and absorb the oil.
- Serve right away, or refrigerate for use later.