An easy to make seitan recipe. With photos! Make it yourself and save money!! Whoo hoo.
What is seitan? It’s a protein-filled meat substitute made with the protein portion of wheat flour.
- 2 2/3 cups vital gluten flour
- 2 cups room temp water
- 1/2 tsp rosemary, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 tsp thyme, chopped (optional)
- Mix dry ingredients with water.
- Knead well for about 5 minutes until everything is incorporated. It quickly forms a doughy mass.
- form into 1 long loaf – about 12 inches long.
- Let stand for at least 5 minutes while preparing broth.
- 5 cups Water (or use vegetable broth)
- spices or 2-3 veggie cubes – something to add a nice broth flavor
- Bring to boil.
- Add *cut up seitan pieces to the broth – one by one!
- bring to simmer for 60-90 minutes depending on sizes of seitan
* cut up seitan into small bite-sized pieces. The pieces will expand in the broth – to nearly twice their original size.
NOTE: The seitan pieces stick together so keep them away from one another.