A delicious, easy-to-make Seitan recipe. Make your own at home. It’s tastes better and saves you money!! Whoo hoo.
What is seitan? It’s a protein-filled meat substitute made with the protein portion of wheat flour.
- 2 cups vital gluten flour
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup white flour
- 3 tbsp minced ginger (optional)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 1/4 cups hot water
- 1/4 cup soy, tamari or bragg’s sauce
- 1/2 tsp rosemary (optional)
- 1/2 tsp sage (optional)
- 1/2 tsp thyme (optional)
- Mix dry ingredients and add ginger.
- Mix water and soy sauce and add to dry ingredients.
- Knead well for about 5 minutes until everything is incorporated. It quickly forms a doughy mass.
- Form into 2 loafs and let stand for 30 minutes.
- 8 cups Water (or use vegetable broth)
- 1/3 cup soy sauce, tamari or bragg’s
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- spices or 2 veggie cubes – something to add a nice broth flavor
- Bring to boil.
- Add *cut up seitan pieces
- bring to simmer for 60-90 minutes depending on sizes of seitan
* cut up seitan into filet slices or small bite-sized pieces. The pieces will expand in the broth – to nearly twice their original size.