Shepard’s Pie, by The Rock and Roll Vegetarian
- 6 medium peeled potatoes, cut into large pieces
- 2 T. chopped onions, or shallots
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1 cup vegetarian crumbles, ground beef substitute
- 1/2 cup milk or something like rice milk for vegans
- 1 T. margarine
- 1 T. Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes until soft
- Drain the potatoes, add milk and margarine and using a mixer mash, adding salt and pepper to taste
- In a skillet heat olive oil, and when hot
- Add onions or shallots, and vegetable crumbles, and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The onions should soften.
- Stir in the cooked lentils
- In serving bowls or ramekins, fill 2/3 up with mashed potatoes, and the top third with lentil mixture
This classic Irish dish is really tasty in this vegetarian version. Bring the Guinness, and a smile!!