Spaghetti squash is a great low fat, nutritious substitute for pasta – it has a good somewhat crunchy texture and a mildly sweet flavor. Serve spaghetti squash with tomato sauce, olive oil or butter-flavored spread.
- 1 spaghetti squash
- tomato sauce, if desired – homemade marinara recipe here
- a little water for the cooking
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut squash lengthwise in half and scoop out the seeds and the stringy flesh.
- On a baking sheet or dish, place squash halves flat side down and add 1/4″ or so water to the pan.
- Bake in over for 35-40 minutes, until squash is tender.
- This is the fun part (especially if you don’t have much of a life – ha ha) – using a fork, scrape out the insides of the squash – it comes out like pieces of spaghetti!
- Put in a bowl, top with your choice of: olive oil, tomato sauce, butter, salt and pepper.
Sweet! You can also do this in the microwave. Same as 2,3 above but put in microwave for around 10 minutes. I usually check it a few times during the microwaving to see how it’s coming along.