Vegetarian “Beef” Stew – a super tasty dish we all grew up with when we used to eat meat!
- 1 package vegetarian “beef” style cubes, such as made by Gardein (vegan), cut into bite sized cubes
- 2 Baking Potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 small yellow zuccini, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 4 white mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 carrots and or parsnips, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 teaspoons dried herbs de Provence
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder (or flour)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (or ketchup)
- in a medium soup pot, boil the potatoes until cooked – about 10 minutes
- while potatoes are boiling, start stew in another soup pot, first sauteeing the onions, carrots, parsnips for about 5 minutes until the onions are soft. Be careful not to brown the onion – use a medium to low heat.
- add the the zuccini, mushrooms, peas, and herbs, and then cook over low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened
- add the broth and tomato paste and bring to a boil
- drain and add the boiled potatoes, and the “beef” cubes
- mix the arrowroot or flour with 2 tablespoons water and whisk until combined, then add to the stew
- cook another 5 minutes
- if desired add a few drops of olive oil on top of the stew when serving
Who said we can’t make anything we want in a vegetarian style!!