Yes, Borscht is deliciious and good for you – also yes, it can be made vegetarian! Of course, it can….
- 3 big beets
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 tbsp agave nectar OR 2 tbsp honey
- soy sauce to tast
- 2 cups green cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 cup puréed tomato
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Peel, cut off the beet greens, chop coarsely and boil the beets in the vegetable stock until tender (about 30 minutes).
- Add sweetener, vinegar, soy sauce and cabbage to the stock. Cook about 10 minutes.
- Stire in tomato puree and cook another 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with your choice of sour cream.