- 3/4 dried pinto beans (or use red kidney beans) – or 2 cups of canned beans.
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2 small red or green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 can plum tomatoes, drained and chopped, and save the juice
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 6 T. chili powder
- 1 T. ground cumin powder
- 8 corn tortillas (6 inch diameter)
- 2 cups grated cheddar or monterey cheese (or non-dairy cheese)
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- After pre-soaking the beans (see here), cook for 30 minutes with enough water to keep the beans under the water’s top, and drain. (or use the canned beans)
- Combine the beans, onions, garlic, peppers, canned tomatoes with saved juice, cayenne pepper, chili powder, cumin and salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F. (180° C.)
- Spread 1/3 bean mixture in a 9 inch by 13 inch baking dish.
- Top with 4 of the tortilla, and 1 cup cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- Top with bean mixture, and cover with foil.
- Bake about 35 minutes.
- Strew the lettuce and fresh tomatoes over the top.
Serve, and enjoy!