I’m one of those vegetarians who tries to recreate many of the classic meat dishes I used to love, only now with love spread to the animals too! In the Summer and Fall I would look forward to hitting up the local fair, or as I grew up near and lived in NY City, the fantastic street fairs and festivals. Italian sausage and peppers on a soft roll is about as standard a food item as there is at these things. I sure ate a lot of them. These are better though, both in health and dare I say it, taste too!
Now I have recreated this classic, at home, vegetarian or vegan style. If your sausage is vegan, then this dish will be too.
We make this with a combination of vegan sausage and seitan. It is great with both, or either/or. Just make sure to get a great bun!
- 2 12-inch soft bakery rolls
- 1 veggie sausage – tofurky makes delicious vegan sausages
- 1 package of seitan (veggie protein product made from wheat gluten) – optional – can just use sausages but this adds a delish dimension
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped into very large pieces
- 2 sweet red peppers, frying type if available
- 2T olive oil
- Salt, pepper & mustard to taste
- Cut everything to bite size.
- In a large frying pan heat up olive oil and add the peppers and onions and cook over medium high heat for about 5 minutes to begin to soften.
- Add the sausage and seitan and cook another 5 minutes or so until peppers and onions are soft but not yet mushy, and the sausage and seitan begin to get a little browned.
- Cut the soft rolls down the side, but still connected, like a hot dog roll.
- Spread the desired amount of mustard on the roll.
- Fill the rolls with the sausage and pepper mix from the frying pan.
Brings us right back to the street fairs of NY City, only with no meat, only the taste and style.